Pages

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Red Velvet Cupcakes



 
As mentioned in my first post I have somewhat of a mild obsession for all things red velvet, especially red velvet cupcakes. The joy that I feel while eating as well as making them is indescribable <wiping drool off my face>.  I’ve been asked to make red velvet cupcakes numerous time for birthday parties, bridal showers etc etc. Therefore I found it fitting that my first recipe post should pay homage to this scrumptious treat!
Although it’s said that the reaction between cocoa powder and baking soda gives these cupcakes their red color, I personally like to just add red food coloring. Buttermilk is a must to create a moist texture. If you don’t have buttermilk on hand you can just add either 1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup of milk. Allow the mixture to stand about 5-10 minutes before using. If you can, use eggs that are at room temperature as they mix better with the batter and allow baked goods to rise more easily. Finally, there is no other icing more fitting to top this masterpiece then a nice smooth, dreamy cream cheese frosting. Now let’s get to the fun part! Here is one of my favourite red velvet cupcake recipes courtesy of Paul Deen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment